And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment. And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.
How much did the poor widow and the rich give respectively? What did Jesus say was different about their offerings?
The poor widow gave only two coins, but it was all she had. The rich man gives a lot of money, but it is only his extra money. Jesus said that the widow gave more money than the rich man because she loved God, but the rich man just wanted to be seen to give a lot of money, not because he really loved God. God does not only look at our behavior, but wants us to truly love Him and have a heart that is willing to trust and rely on Him.
- Put some copper plates and a plastic bag on the table.
- Time with a watch or mobile phone.
- Holding the plastic bag in one hand, with the other hand pick up “one” copper plate on the table and place it in the plastic bag.
- The person who takes all the coins on the table the fastest wins.
- Commandments: Prescribe what people who believe in God should do and what they are forbidden to do.
- A place in the temple where worshipers of God give money.
When we know God’s commandments, we must learn to put them into practice in order to truly fulfill God’s requirements.
Dear Lord Jesus, thank you for using the Bible to teach me many things. I want to read more of your words, learn the faith of the widow in this story, believe in and rely on you more, and truly love you and others. In the holy name of the Lord Jesus Christ, amen!